Wednesday, August 29, 2012

American Flag, Rainbows, and God



The American Flag: What does it mean to you?

What impression does the America flag leave on you? Think about that… Is it Hope… Is it hopelessness… is it a promise for a future…. Is it a loss of happiness… Is it hatred… is it a deep appreciation…
I’m sure this flag invokes many emotions, from the worst to the best across this nation and around the world.
As I read an article tonight linked on Facebook ( http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sid-mohn/poverty-the-conversation-_b_1833092.html ) , I was inspired to write about my country, my world and my God.

Now I don’t claim to be well versed in the political arena, but I do want to make a difference in the world. If my one voice, or my one vote really does count, then why don’t I always see the good I long for. I was reminded tonight about purpose. About how every man woman, boy and girl should have the right to food, clothing, shelter…. and beyond those basic needs of survival, every man, woman, boy and girl, should have the right to be treated with dignity, respect, liberty, and justice. But does that happen? Can it happen? Is it even possible for this fairytale sort of utopia wish to come true?  Well I know it’s not possible as long as evil exists in this world. But then what about good? Will the good guys ever truly, ever really, and finally, win the fight? After all that is what keeps us fighting, right? It’s the belief that someday, right will win, and wrong will lose. Good will triumph and Evil will fade away.

So, what’s my point?

The American Flag…. Well my point runs deeper than the flag… the symbol I would use to represent my point would actually be much more colorful. I would use a rainbow. A rainbow in its most original, archaic and natural form: a form of purpose, commitment, and covenant. This symbol that comes after a rain is a promise from the past as well as a promise from the God of all time.

So what sort of promise comes from a God who would allow evil to exist?

Hmm…………………………… That's one to think over..........................................................................

All I know is what I’ve been told, experienced, and have searched out for myself. And I do know that this God of promise has a purpose of love and good for every individual on this planet. God loves. He really does. He loves and He actively participates to bring the best to a world of people who very often favor evil and hatred over goodness and love.

So, again, what is my point? Well as I read an article talking about how our politicians dodge highlighting issues such as poverty, it made me cringe.

So, here is my point and my plea. If you are on American soil today or better yet if you are on planet earth…  remember the poor, the widow, the orphan. Stop to think about the suffering child on the street, the widowed woman next door, the hungry foreigner who is mistreated and taken advantage of. Remember the downcast. Don’t just remember like you do when you think of a memory. GO Comfort that child with food, clothes, perhaps, even a glass of water. GO visit that lonely widow, who just wants her life to end today. GO care for the crippled, the mentally handicapped. Remember that if you have something to give, give it. That is how we will change this country. That is how we will change this world. Love.. Have compassion. And Love some more. <3



No comments:

Post a Comment